a jolt of reality
coffee cup
reality: n. something to be tampered with only after several cups of coffee.

Road to Writing
When I first started, I thought all you had to do is write a book. Can you say *naive*, boys and girls? Join me on my journey as a pre- published writer looking to see my name on the cover of a book. I'll talk about all the bumps, bruises, joys and frustrations I encounter along the way.

current mood

recent posts

archives

progress
Burn Me Once
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
49,500 / 100,000
(49.0%)

Shifting Rhythms

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
24,000 / 100,000
(24.0%)

credits
Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Image Hosting

Template Design by Miz Graphics

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Erotic Romance

This may come out sounding like a rant. If it does, I apologize. It's not my intent.

OK. With that disclaimer out of the way . . .

Erotic Romance. Erotica with an HEA (happily ever after). Romance with very explicit sex. With the growing popularity of e-books, Erotic Romance seems to be making a bigger impact on the romance market.

I'm a subscriber to the Romantic Times Book Club Magazine , a monthly magazine that, among other things, rates and reviews new romance releases. And I've noticed that over the past few months the number of reviewed Erotic Romance novels, and e-books in general, has increased.

I know I've purchased both e-books and Erotic Romance novels. I could say that I've purchased these novels as research -- my CPs are trying to break into this market, and how can I critique a manuscript effectively if I'm not familiar with the genre? -- but that's not entirely true. I admit I enjoy some of these novels.

Some of them.

And here comes the rant part. I just purchased and read a highly rated Erotic Romance e-book. The book wasn't bad, but I thought it received a better rating than it should have. And I'm wondering what that means.

As a writer, am I harder to please? Have my intense studies of GMC (goal, motivation, conflict) and character development -- among other subjects in the craft of writing -- made it more difficult for me to enjoy a book? Are the books that I say are "not bad", books that I might have enjoyed immensely, say, ten years ago?

Or are the standards slightly lower for this type novel?

Tough choice -- but I'm inclined to believe it's the former, rather than the latter.

There are certain authors I still read with great enjoyment. Authors who weave a story so engaging I forget all about the things I've learned and just enjoy. Sherrilyn Kenyon , the author I made a fool of myself (a charming fool, of course) with at the Moonlight and Magnolias Conference is one. Add to that list Karen Marie Moning, Janet Evanovich, Jennifer Crusie, and Stella Cameron, just to name a few. The actual list would extend for miles.

But I listed authors to point out that I really and truly do read for enjoyment. That, despite everything I've learned over the past couple years (and the amount I've learned is immeasurable), I can still read a book and not pick it apart.

So why have I really not been able to find an Erotic Romance that does this for me? Don't they exist? They must. I probably have just not yet stumbled upon them.

(Ooh. Just thought of two that came darn close, both by the same author: Jacqueline Meadows.)

And admittedly, there are a large number of Erotic Romance authors I've not yet read.

Honestly, I don't remember what my original purpose was when I started this post. Could be because of the fact that my kids are arguing not three feet away. Anyway, what I have managed to do with this post is talk myself into trying more Erotic Romance authors.

(BTW - BIAW starts Sunday. Wish me luck!)

3 Comments:

  • I'd be willing to believe that both the issues you touched upon are true. Maybe you haven't found 'the one erotic romance novel' yet, but also you are probably a better critic now than before.

    When I learned to play music, I found that my musical likes and dislikes changed quite a bit and they changed quickly. Being able to dissect the structure of the song suddenly made a big difference in how I perceived it. I found that some music I thought was good no longer was interesting at all. On the other hand, some artists I didn't like I found a new respect for.

    Good luck at BIAW!

    By Blogger Yankeebob, at 7:51 PM  

  • As an erotica/erotic romance author, I agree with you. There are a lot of Erotic Romance titles available out there that are, in my opinion, not so great. However the same can be said for ANY genre, and there are some absolute fantastic erotic romance authors out there. For some great research I suggest you check out Emma Holly (who is not available in any ePublisheing site) and Jaid Black(who is).

    By Blogger Sasha White, at 4:28 AM  

  • Yankeebob -- You know, I never thought to compare writing/reading to music. My husband is a live sound engineer who doesn't enjoy live concerts in his free time as much as I do because he tends to pick apart sound quality. Thanks for pointing out how closely the two are related!

    Sasha -- You're absolutely right. There are good and bad authors published in every genre. My disappointment has been with books that were given glowing reviews, only to disappoint me when I read them. Thanks a bunch for the recommendations, though. I'll check them out.

    By Blogger Lynn, at 11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me
My Photo
Name:
Location: Atlanta-ish, Georgia, United States

I'm a wife, a mom, an operating room nurse, a writer, a hobby photographer, and a music lover who knits and crochets. And I'm fairly certain I've lost my mind.

daily visits
Adro's Mumbling & Bumbling
Cece's Big Mouth
Conversations About Famous People
Cynthia Justlin
Diana's Diversions
A Diva's Journey
Eve Jameson
Four Kids and a Blog
Gina's Ramblings
Jax's Artistic Journey
Jerri's Journey to Publication
Jordan Summers
Kate Rothwell
Larissa's Soapbox
Lori Devoti
Laura Bacchi's Bits
Marie's Blog
Marty Kindall
Road to Publication & Beyond
Sasha White
Sheri Haynes
Silma Pagan
The Soapbox
Southern Gal Goes North
Stephanie Tyler
Sylvia Day
Teresa Harrison
Undefinable Qualities
Yankeebob's Blog

places to visit
Lynn Daniels, Author
Romance Divas
My Webshots Site
Charlotte's Resources for Romance Writers
Romance Writers of America
From the Heart Online Chapter
RWA Online Chapter

music sites
Melodic Rock.com
NEH Records
Vaughn
Final Frontier
STYXworld.com
Journey
Hugo
Harem Scarem

current read
Fire Me Up

shuffling in the cd changer

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com