a jolt of reality
coffee cup
reality: n. something to be tampered with only after several cups of coffee.

Road to Writing
When I first started, I thought all you had to do is write a book. Can you say *naive*, boys and girls? Join me on my journey as a pre- published writer looking to see my name on the cover of a book. I'll talk about all the bumps, bruises, joys and frustrations I encounter along the way.

current mood

recent posts

archives

progress
Burn Me Once
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
49,500 / 100,000
(49.0%)

Shifting Rhythms

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
24,000 / 100,000
(24.0%)

credits
Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Image Hosting

Template Design by Miz Graphics

Sunday, November 21, 2004

I have seen the light!

OK. Not really. I'm still fighting with that scene. And visiting Miserable Melodies didn't help. Although I did laugh myself to tears over a version of "O, Holy Night" they have.

So rather than continuing to fight, I opted to write more. Thought I'd include the climax of the scene here as an excerpt for your enjoyment. Ready?

The setup. They're in a bar. A dive. Definitely not a high-class place. And the band on the stage is the worst band in the entire world, who announced earlier that this was their first gig out of their garage. Chad and Dakota are trying to figure out what song the band is now playing. It seems familiar, but they're not sure.

“Hotel California,” she said. “They’re playing Hotel California.”

Cocking his head, he listened. Yeah, OK. Could be Hotel California. Could be a musical rendition of the death of a cat. “You sure?” he asked.

At that moment, somebody started to sing. The lyrics were definitely those of the classic Eagles tune. One of the night’s ‘special guests’ had joined the band on stage and was trying to sing harmony. At least, that’s what he thought they guy was doing.

Chad glanced around the table. Matt’s head was in his hands, his shoulders heaving just as Dakota’s had been moments ago. Dunc had pulled his shirt up over his head. And Bert was methodically slamming down the beer in his mug, refilling, and repeating the process with the speed of Superman chasing Lex Luthor.

Chad howled with laughter. He couldn’t help it. Between the sounds of the worst rendition of one of his favorite songs coming from the stage and the reactions of his buddies, there’d been no hope of holding back.

It looked like the band’s drummer noticed too. Without ceremony, the dude came out from behind his drum kit, climbed down to the floor in front of the stage, turned his back to the crowd, and dropped his pants.

Yes, the entire audience was being mooned by the giant, hairy, toothless drummer.

Dakota screamed. Dunc pulled his shirt down from over his head, followed Dakota’s gaze, then dove underneath the table. Matt fell out of his chair. And Bert just kept slamming down those drinks.

4 Comments:

  • I've been wondering how 'the mooning' would happen. It's been a curiousity since you hinted about it some time ago. That's hilarious!

    I've heard bands that sucked that bad before. Actually, I've been in one or two, but we knew it and never left the basement.

    What happened to you in reality? You mentioned that the stinky band incident was based on a real life adventure. I'm curious. And which character were you like when you experienced that? I would have been Bert. Only drinking heavily can help when someone butchers a classic that badly.

    By Blogger Yankeebob, at 8:29 AM  

  • Thanks for stopping by, Bob! I'm glad you liked the excerpt -- the reaction seems to be favorable so far, so it looks like I got that part of the scene right. :)

    I'm happy to say that IRL, we were not mooned. I actually took that part from a story a friend told me about the bass player of her husband's old band. However, the giant hairy toothless drummer is real, albeit slightly exaggerated. Hotel California? That happened.

    And there are other things in the extended scene not shown here that happened. The Karen Carpenter drag queen with no makeup who sang Steve Nicks covers but only had a 5-note range? Real. The Bob Dylan sound-alike who was harder to understand than the man himself? Real. The 40-ish Haight chick in plastic zebra-striped boots? Yup, real. The marble-mouthed bass player who told us to kill our bartenders and waitresses? He played a different instrument IRL, but he was real too. And I still haven't written the part about the drink beggar.

    Since I didn't really get mooned, I didn't have the opportunity to be any of these characters. However, if it had happened in real live, I'd have probably reacted like either Chad or Matt.

    By Blogger Lynn, at 12:21 PM  

  • Wow! I've gotta check out some of the live music places you've been to. Some of the characters you mentioned would be hard to make up. My friend G and I would haunt any place with people like that hanging around.

    By Blogger Yankeebob, at 8:39 PM  

  • LOL! And from the stories I've read on your blog, you and your friend G would have just put that night right over the top! I do remember, midway through that night, looking at my friend Teresa and saying, "I have *got* to use this in a book!"

    By Blogger Lynn, at 9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me
My Photo
Name:
Location: Atlanta-ish, Georgia, United States

I'm a wife, a mom, an operating room nurse, a writer, a hobby photographer, and a music lover who knits and crochets. And I'm fairly certain I've lost my mind.

daily visits
Adro's Mumbling & Bumbling
Cece's Big Mouth
Conversations About Famous People
Cynthia Justlin
Diana's Diversions
A Diva's Journey
Eve Jameson
Four Kids and a Blog
Gina's Ramblings
Jax's Artistic Journey
Jerri's Journey to Publication
Jordan Summers
Kate Rothwell
Larissa's Soapbox
Lori Devoti
Laura Bacchi's Bits
Marie's Blog
Marty Kindall
Road to Publication & Beyond
Sasha White
Sheri Haynes
Silma Pagan
The Soapbox
Southern Gal Goes North
Stephanie Tyler
Sylvia Day
Teresa Harrison
Undefinable Qualities
Yankeebob's Blog

places to visit
Lynn Daniels, Author
Romance Divas
My Webshots Site
Charlotte's Resources for Romance Writers
Romance Writers of America
From the Heart Online Chapter
RWA Online Chapter

music sites
Melodic Rock.com
NEH Records
Vaughn
Final Frontier
STYXworld.com
Journey
Hugo
Harem Scarem

current read
Fire Me Up

shuffling in the cd changer

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com