a jolt of reality
coffee cup
reality: n. something to be tampered with only after several cups of coffee.

Road to Writing
When I first started, I thought all you had to do is write a book. Can you say *naive*, boys and girls? Join me on my journey as a pre- published writer looking to see my name on the cover of a book. I'll talk about all the bumps, bruises, joys and frustrations I encounter along the way.

current mood

recent posts

archives

progress
Burn Me Once
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
49,500 / 100,000
(49.0%)

Shifting Rhythms

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
24,000 / 100,000
(24.0%)

credits
Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Image Hosting

Template Design by Miz Graphics

Friday, June 03, 2005

And the Dust Settles...

...I think.

I've been working a few hours now, and I think I've got all the kinks worked out of the new layout. Please let me know if it doesn't look as good in your browser as it does in mine. I've tested it in both Mozilla Firefox and Explorer, but feedback always helps, you know?

So...why did I choose this layout? And why did I want to change the layout in the first place?

The layout change was inspired by Kristen, whose cool new blog look made me want to try and go for something a little less generic. For something half a million other Blogspot bloggers weren't using.

The search for a new layout proved more difficult than I anticipated, though. I had to find something that was me. Something that either fit my personality or the style of stories I write. Easier said than done. I came across some beautiful layouts: some that made me wish I was more "froo-froo" in personality, some that made me wish I wrote paranormal or fantasy, some that made me wish I was a chick-lit kinda gal.

But I'm not in the least bit "froo-froo", so the pretty flowers were out. Although I love to read paranormal, I can't write it to save my tail, so the otherworldly, the ethereal, the mystical, and the fairies were out. I'm not cutesie, so out went the sweet layouts and the anime. I live in rural Georgia and favor faded jeans with either my Avias or my beat up old cowboy boots, so anything that hinted at hip urban chic was out of the question too.

What did that leave? Not a whole lot.

I finally chose three layouts that I thought were pretty close to me. I set them up with test blogs, then decided on the one that looked best, in my humble opinion. The result is what you see.

Once upon a time, I wouldn't even have considered this layout. I would never describe myself as a coffee addict. But I do drink coffee now (for years my caffeine jolt came from a can of Coke) thanks to Teresa introducing me to Kahlua Vanilla Cream flavored coffee (have I mentioned how much I love Kahlua?).

I settled on this layout mainly because I liked the title (and the colors were nice). Not because of the coffee insinuation, but because it described the real eye-opening smack in the head I received when I first started researching romance writing.

What? You mean I can't just write whatever story that comes to me? You mean there are occupations considered tabboo? The hero and heroine can only be with each other and nobody else once the story starts? They have to meet in the first few chapters? The hell, you say.

Hence, my jolt of reality.

I won't even mention my jaw-dropping discoveries of POV, GMC, and scene and structure, or the hell commonly known as the synopsis, query letter, and agent/editor research.

But now I'm aware of all these things. I'm dealing with them. Gaining proficiency. I'm working to expand my knowledge. And my writing is stronger as a result. I've come a long way, baby.

19 Comments:

  • This looks great! I love it. Good job with the re-do.

    I've tried to 'fix' mine, but I don't really know enough about it and I don't have time to research, so I think I'm stuck for a while. Blah.

    By Blogger Yankeebob, at 8:43 AM  

  • Lynn - LOVE the new look!!! Gives me ideas *g*. Not sure I have the time to do them justice. Hmmmmm.

    By Blogger Tess, at 8:47 AM  

  • I like this. I've always been a fan of neutrals, and this reminds me of coffee. I LOVE coffee. Mocho. Cappucino. Espresso. Latte. I love it all. Great look! *g*

    By Blogger Larissa Ione, at 10:11 AM  

  • Thanks, Larissa. I love neutrals with some things, and with others I prefer "in your face" bold colors. But this worked for me.

    And I'm really learning to love coffee. *g*

    By Blogger Lynn, at 10:56 AM  

  • Tess--Thanks! If I'd known how long it would take for me to work out the bugs--especially since I'm not particularly proficient with CSS--I might not have tackled this. But I'm glad I did.

    By Blogger Lynn, at 10:57 AM  

  • Thanks a bunch, Bob. Hey, the good news is there are some layouts out there that are pretty much "plug-n-play" with Blogger--all you have to do is personalize. The bad news is none of them fit me, so I had to do a little futzing. But I think it worked out. *g*

    By Blogger Lynn, at 10:58 AM  

  • Muchas gracias, Teresa! I'm pretty happy with it.

    By Blogger Lynn, at 10:59 AM  

  • Lynn, Wow! I didn't know you had two blogs! This looks amazing! The colors are absolutely gorgeous! Definitely makes me think of Starbucks and coffee.

    Awesome job!

    By Blogger Katrina Glover, at 12:58 PM  

  • Wow, this is beautiful! I love it! Maybe you could just leave a note with a link on your other blog and gradually train everyone over to this one. That would work and be simpler for you. Plus, this one is just gorgeous!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:55 PM  

  • At first I thought I was in the wrong blog. *lol* Love the new blog look, Lynn!

    By Blogger Silma, at 4:08 PM  

  • I follwed the link from your OTHER BLOG...LOl

    Love this look! Good job, Lynn!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:09 PM  

  • *looks around approvingly* I love it. Very soothing colors.

    So, is this the official blog now? Do you want me to change my sidebar link to this blog?

    By Blogger Stephanie Tyler, at 9:01 PM  

  • Steph - Thanks! Hold off on changing the link...I thinks there's gonna be another big change soon. If I can get this sucker worked out.

    By Blogger Lynn, at 3:22 AM  

  • Thanks, Sasha! I know...the "other blog" thing is pathetic, isn't it? I'm hoping to get that changed soon.

    By Blogger Lynn, at 3:25 AM  

  • Silma -- I remember thinking that exact same thing when you changed your template.

    By Blogger Lynn, at 3:25 AM  

  • Thanks, Suzanne! As for your suggestion, I think I'll be making another big change soon (depending on my coding ability), so I'm gonna hold off on the redirection for now.

    By Blogger Lynn, at 3:26 AM  

  • Thanks so much, Kat! And I didn't exactly advertise that I had two blogs. It seemed silly. Still does.

    By Blogger Lynn, at 3:27 AM  

  • So glad I could inspire someone into doing something.

    Now, if I could just inspire my husband to put his clothes in the hamper...

    By Blogger Kristen Painter, at 9:46 PM  

  • If you figure out how to do that, would you mind sharing the secret? Mine still puts his clothes on the floor next to the hamper.

    By Blogger Lynn, at 11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me
My Photo
Name:
Location: Atlanta-ish, Georgia, United States

I'm a wife, a mom, an operating room nurse, a writer, a hobby photographer, and a music lover who knits and crochets. And I'm fairly certain I've lost my mind.

daily visits
Adro's Mumbling & Bumbling
Cece's Big Mouth
Conversations About Famous People
Cynthia Justlin
Diana's Diversions
A Diva's Journey
Eve Jameson
Four Kids and a Blog
Gina's Ramblings
Jax's Artistic Journey
Jerri's Journey to Publication
Jordan Summers
Kate Rothwell
Larissa's Soapbox
Lori Devoti
Laura Bacchi's Bits
Marie's Blog
Marty Kindall
Road to Publication & Beyond
Sasha White
Sheri Haynes
Silma Pagan
The Soapbox
Southern Gal Goes North
Stephanie Tyler
Sylvia Day
Teresa Harrison
Undefinable Qualities
Yankeebob's Blog

places to visit
Lynn Daniels, Author
Romance Divas
My Webshots Site
Charlotte's Resources for Romance Writers
Romance Writers of America
From the Heart Online Chapter
RWA Online Chapter

music sites
Melodic Rock.com
NEH Records
Vaughn
Final Frontier
STYXworld.com
Journey
Hugo
Harem Scarem

current read
Fire Me Up

shuffling in the cd changer

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com