a jolt of reality
coffee cup
reality: n. something to be tampered with only after several cups of coffee.

Road to Writing
When I first started, I thought all you had to do is write a book. Can you say *naive*, boys and girls? Join me on my journey as a pre- published writer looking to see my name on the cover of a book. I'll talk about all the bumps, bruises, joys and frustrations I encounter along the way.

current mood

recent posts

archives

progress
Burn Me Once
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
49,500 / 100,000
(49.0%)

Shifting Rhythms

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
24,000 / 100,000
(24.0%)

credits
Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Image Hosting

Template Design by Miz Graphics

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Trash or treasure?

One of the writers' mailing lists I'm on has been having a conversation lately that got me thinking. It started when a new author sent a post to the list asking (and I'm paraphrasing), "Many multi-published authors say their first manuscripts were crap. What is it about your first that made it crap?"

Like I said, paraphrasing. I think the original post was phrased with much nicer language.

Anyway, it got me thinking. The manuscript I'm planning to start querying with after the first of the year is, in fact, my first completed manuscript. After reading the many responses that came across the list from published authors, I started to second guess myself.

Is this manuscript, this story I've worked so hard on, this baby I've polished to a shine . . . is it crap? Am I deluding myself in thinking it actually has a chance in hell of being published?

I went back and read the responses on the list a little more closely, taking note of the problems these authors cited with their first manuscripts.

Head hopping/POV everywhere - This one was a biggie, and included in nearly every response so far. Most people said that when they started, they knew nothing about POV (point of view).

Yup. I understand this problem. The first draft of Irresistible Harmony (IH) had this problem, since the concept of POV and staying in one person's head was one I learned after I penned that first draft. But I have learned this concept since then, and that first draft was many moons ago. Pretty sure that problem's fixed in this one.

Overdone narration/description/too much introspection - I've been lucky enough to have some fabulous critique partners who have, from time to time, said, "Lynn, I'd really like to hear how this went down." That nasty old "Show, Don't Tell" rule that used to give me fits. I think I've come a long way with that. I might not have beaten that monster, but I do believe I wrestled it down to submission. Although that introspection thing might be a problem. Might need to double check that.

Cardboard or two-dimensional characters - I'm hoping IH doesn't have this problem, and if my CPs' reactions to the story are any indication, it doesn't.

Dialogue problems - I've come to believe that dialogue is probably my strongest suit, if I do say so, myself. Matter of fact, it's probably the one aspect of my writing that came the easiest to me.

Muddled voice - Now, this one's a biggie for me. The tone of IH is very different from the stories I've written since. Although I won't say IH is angst-ridden, it certainly doesn't show the dry humor my newer manuscripts have. At least, not throughout. But it's there. But overall, voice is hard to define. And most writers will say that you'll know when you find it. Can you see the giant question mark over my head?

So . . . my conclusion? I haven't really reached one. Except to say that despite my hesitations, I'm still going to go ahead and try to submit this puppy and see what happens. A majority of the writers I've spoken to say that their first ms (or two, or three) have been banished to a dusty spot beneath their bed, never to see the light of day again.

IH isn't going there yet. But there's always a chance.

4 Comments:

  • It's so interesting to read everything it takes to get a manuscript finished. All those terms you've listed I've never heard before. I'm one of those people who expected that a writer would just sit down, bang out a story and it would be done. Shows what I know.

    I think you should just go ahead and submit "Irresistible Harmony". You've worked hard on it. See what happens. (This is from someone who's total writing experience is a blog or 1/2 assed songs, so take it for what it's worth.)

    By Blogger Yankeebob, at 8:03 AM  

  • Thanks for the push, Bob! I think I will go ahead and submit in January. I mean, the worst they can say is thanks, but no thanks, right? Well, I guess the worst they could say is, "Are you insane? What the hell are you doing wasting our time like this?" but I'm gonna lay money they don't.

    Yeah -- this first book started out as, "I'm just gonna sit down and bang this thing out." And that's what I originally did. But then I *learned* (oooh - such a dirty word) about the craft and saw my mistakes.

    By Blogger Lynn, at 5:54 PM  

  • No matter what those authors thinkof their first ms....they are pubbed now. That means sub it!! You can only get better! (and the good thing is...Just becasue they needed to get better, doesn;t mean you do.)


    No Risk, No Reward.

    By Blogger Sasha White, at 11:35 PM  

  • Yeah I made all those same mistakes too but that first one is SUCH a learning experience and a milestone on teh way to being a writer. Even if it never sells, it's a huge accomplishment. I had to almost completely rewrite my first one, it's still not done, but the tone (voice) of the first three is very different from the fourth and honestly the voice is more comfortable for me. What's this mean as a writer? No clue LOL

    Fingers crossed chica!

    CEce

    By Blogger Amie Stuart, at 5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

about me
My Photo
Name:
Location: Atlanta-ish, Georgia, United States

I'm a wife, a mom, an operating room nurse, a writer, a hobby photographer, and a music lover who knits and crochets. And I'm fairly certain I've lost my mind.

daily visits
Adro's Mumbling & Bumbling
Cece's Big Mouth
Conversations About Famous People
Cynthia Justlin
Diana's Diversions
A Diva's Journey
Eve Jameson
Four Kids and a Blog
Gina's Ramblings
Jax's Artistic Journey
Jerri's Journey to Publication
Jordan Summers
Kate Rothwell
Larissa's Soapbox
Lori Devoti
Laura Bacchi's Bits
Marie's Blog
Marty Kindall
Road to Publication & Beyond
Sasha White
Sheri Haynes
Silma Pagan
The Soapbox
Southern Gal Goes North
Stephanie Tyler
Sylvia Day
Teresa Harrison
Undefinable Qualities
Yankeebob's Blog

places to visit
Lynn Daniels, Author
Romance Divas
My Webshots Site
Charlotte's Resources for Romance Writers
Romance Writers of America
From the Heart Online Chapter
RWA Online Chapter

music sites
Melodic Rock.com
NEH Records
Vaughn
Final Frontier
STYXworld.com
Journey
Hugo
Harem Scarem

current read
Fire Me Up

shuffling in the cd changer

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com